Sunday, February 1, 2009

An evening of music


The Chuck Mangione concert was sold out and well received. I was surprised to learn that he (Chuck) had played with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. I definitely like his band live better than listening to his old recordings - there was a little more room for the band members to show off while playing live! 

As I watched the concert, it occurred to me that he (Chuck) was more of a song writer, band leader than a performer, although he played that role as well. I really thought the drummer played the most important role in making his music work.

 I thought Gerard Niewood did a nice job on sax and flutes... he played a lot of soprano sax and some of the stuff he did on sorprano reminded me a little of you Colin. He also had a great sound on the flute, piccolo, and alto flute - switched between them a lot-not easy on the embouchure. Have you ever listened to him? I'm going to be checking him out!


The next concert is Eileen Ivers - celtic violin.  It makes me wish you could be here to enjoy it Lindsay.   I also wish I had your beautiful violin here so that I could fix it up and bring it to you. Violins need to be played and something tells me you also need your violin!

No comments:

Post a Comment